Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Writing a Dissertation = Economy of Suffering

My gracious, it's been a hot minute. I'm still here! I've been busy, teaching full time and also trying to find random bits of time to write this dissertation. Lest you ever think otherwise, let me tell you now: Writing your dissertation is HARD. No way around it, turns out.

But, on the other hand, there is some belief that the typical "culture of suffering" that permeates graduate work doesn't really work all that well. And I quote:
The dissertation will not be better because you suffered through it. If you have been suffering, it’s time to explore some different ways of relating to the dissertation, because something is wrong when there is a whole lot of pain.
I think that there may be an "economy of suffering." How much suffering is enough? Well, you want to suffer just enough to be uncomfortable whenever anyone asks you "How's your dissertation coming?," but not so much so that you actually act on the malicious thoughts that immediately pop into your head.

When asked "How much money is enough?" Rockefeller famously replied, "Just a little bit more." Reading through my facebook feed proves that there is a competition among graduate students to suffer THE MOST of anyone in the world. Ever. Plus, just a little bit more. Woe is us.

Read more about the culture of suffering, and then go cry yourself to sleep.

2 comments:

melinda said...

woe. woe is us. and does this mean that dissertation writers enjoy some level of suffering? discomfort?

and, hey, how is your dissertation going? :)

Gerard said...

Really an informative post, thanks a lot for this. I am waiting for more posts. Wondering if someone can finish my dissertation for me? Yes! At Project Editing Help, you can pay to have your dissertation done for you now. Get our dissertation-finishing help today!